Open daily, 10 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Admission is always free.
- Face masks are recommended in all indoor areas of the museum.
- Please maintain social distancing form visitors not in your party.
- Do not visit if you a feeling sick or have any symptoms consistent with a COVID-19 infection.
COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that is believed to mainly spread from person-to-person contact. The Smithsonian is doing its part to mitigate transmission intensity, and we ask you—our visitors—to do the same and help us reduce the spread of COVID-19. You must follow all posted instructions while visiting the Smithsonian. Despite these measures, the risk of contracting COVID-19 could increase by visiting the Smithsonian. By visiting the Smithsonian, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
The Smithsonian reserves the right to modify its hours of operations, capacity, and visitor guidelines as circumstances require and to deny entry or access to any person who fails to follow these guidelines or whose conduct puts Smithsonian staff, visitors, or property at risk.
- Security personnel may inspect bags, parcels, and similar items.
- Bags larger than 17 × 26 inches (43 × 66 centimeters) are not permitted in the National Museum of Asian Art.
- Nothing is permitted to be carried on one’s back.
- Bags larger than 17 × 26 inches may be left in the locker room.
- Bags that do not fit into lockers may be left at the owner’s risk.
- No wheeled bags, such as luggage or wheeled backpacks, may be used in the galleries.
- Wheelchairs and mobility scooters are permitted in the galleries.
- Manual wheelchairs can be borrowed by asking a security officer stationed at the museum’s accessible entrance on Independence Ave. SW. Wheelchairs are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Strollers that are pushed are allowed in the galleries.
- No other vehicles are permitted in the galleries (i.e.wagons, bicycles, skateboards, electric/recreational scooters).
Food and Beverages
- Visitors are permitted to bring food and beverages in sealed containers inside a backpack or other bag.
- Food and beverages may not be consumed in the museum.
- We ask that visitors not drink water while in the galleries.
- You are invited to use non-flash photography except where specifically prohibited.
- Devices such as tripods and selfie sticks are not permitted.
- The Smithsonian may film, photograph, live stream, or otherwise record in the museum. By your presence, you consent to the use of your image and statements and those of your minor children in connection with Smithsonian activities in any media.
The National Museum of Asian Art is a part of the Smithsonian Institution. While on Smithsonian grounds, visitors are required to follow all Smithsonian policies, which can be found on the Smithsonian website.