Head of the Buddha

Historical period(s)
Hariphunchai period, early 13th century
Medium
Stucco
Dimensions
H x W x D: 22.2 × 18.6 × 10.8 cm (8 3/4 × 7 5/16 × 4 1/4 in)
Geography
Thailand, Chiang Mai province, Lamphun
Credit Line
Gift of Osborne and Gratia Hauge, and Victor and Takako Hauge
Accession Number
S2005.461
On View Location
Currently not on view
Classification(s)
Ceramic, Sculpture
Type

Buddhist sculpture

Keywords
Buddha, Buddhism, Haripunjaya period (ca. 799 - 1292), Thailand, ushnisha, WWII-era provenance
Provenance

From at least 1973 to 2005
Mr. and Mrs. Victor Hauge [1]

From 2005
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, gift of Mr. and Mrs. Victor Hauge in 2005

Notes:

[1] Object file. Acquired while Mr. and Mrs. Osborne and Gratia Hauge were living in Bangkok (1967-1972 or 1973). They were visited on various occasions by Victor and Taka Hauge. According to Taka Hauge, the sources of the stucco heads and related works were the dealers Chai Ma and Peng Seng:

Chai Ma Antiques, 799-801 Silom Road, Bangkok 5, tel. 2364-390, 2364-408

Peng Seng, 942/1-3 Rama IV Road (corner of Suriwongse Road), Bangkok 10500

Previous Owner(s)

Victor and Takako Hauge American (1919 - 2013, 1923 - 2015)

Published References
  • Dr. Hiram Woodward. The Sacred Sculpture of Thailand. London. .
  • Michael Freeman. A Guide to Northern Thailand and the Ancient Kingdom of Lanna. Trumbull, CT. .
  • Pamela Gutman Bob Hudson. Pyu Stucco at Pagan. vol. 14, no. 4, December 2005. pp. 20-22.
Collection Area(s)
Southeast Asian Art
Web Resources
Google Cultural Institute
F|S Southeast Asia
Rights Statement

Copyright with museum