- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Henri Vever 1854 - 1942
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Detached folio from a dispersed copy of the Qur'an; separate from the facing folio S1986.64; recto: Sura al-Ma'ida (the Table spread) 5:34 and part of 35, recto begins with "illalladhina"; verso: sura 5:parts of 35 and 36, verso begins with "waja[a]hidu; Arabic in black "eastern kufic (New Style)" script with stylized scrolling floral design; illuminated roundel verse markers and inscribed marginal medallions; vocalized in red, sukun in blue, letters for recitation and reading in dark brown, tashdid in dark brown; one column; 4 lines of text; one of a group of two folios.
Border: The text area is filled with palmette scrolls and set within an illuminated frame that terminates at the top and bottom in a semi-medallion.
- Published References
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. 2, p. 15.
- Thomas W. Lentz. Pictures for the Islamic Book: Persian and Indian Painting in the Vever Collection. vol. 1, no. 4 New York, Fall 1988. p. 11, fig. 1.
- The Hague. Catalogus tentoonstelling van islamische kunst. cat. 1, p. 21.
- Dr. Massumeh Farhad. Arts of the Islamic World at the Sackler. vol. 43, no.3 Washington. p. 43, fig. 2.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum