- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Henri Vever 1854 - 1942
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Manuscript; Yusuf u Zulaykha by Jami; Persian in black nasta'liq script; headings in gold; 175 folios with 1 sarlawh (1verso) and 3 paintings (fols. 73recto, 94verso, 118recto); inscription (folio 1recto); standard page: 2 columns, 12 lines of text; one of a group of two: the binding (S1986.55.2) and the manuscript (S 1986.55.1) are accessioned separately.
Binding: The manuscript is bound in brown leather over paper pasteboards, stamped with the name of Vever, with doublures of mottled yellow paper.
Fol. 1 recto: "acquired by the sinful slave Halabizada Isma'il Asim. May God save him and his progenitors...al-Mahmud Muhammad; blessings, of God the exalted, and peace be upon him. Jalal year [A.H.] 1167 [A.D. 1753-54]; [attributed to] Waqari Yazdi; for pious ones there is no benefit except baseness in exile; teeth are more precious than pearls provided, they are still in the mouth."
Fol. 175 recto: "the book was completed with the help of the munificent Lord and ... [giver] of justice and divine guidance."
- Published References
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 187, p. 159.
- Marianna Shreve Simpson with contributions by Dr. Massumeh Farhad. Sultan Ibrahim Mirza's Haft Awrang: A Princely Manuscript from Sixteenth-Century Iran. Washington and New Haven. p. 369.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum