- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
John M. Crawford Jr. 1913 - 1988
In the Crawford catalogue, "Chinese Calligraphy and Painting" (p. 51), Max Loehr wrote about the painting:
The fragment depicts a curious architectural assemblage surrounding a checker-paved court. At the left side rise, one behind the other in close juxtaposition, a small porch and two open pavilions on raised platforms. Behind the pavilions runs a portico which closes on the scene to the rear and supports a pillared kiosk on a square platform hovering above the portico. The kiosk is enclosed by a railing, as are the structures on the ground. The roofs are of one type throughout, hipped and with straight caves in Tang fashion. They are rendered in a disjointed perspective that contrasts with the neat and seemingly precise design of the architectural details. In the porchlike structure in front of the buildings appears the lonely figure of a seated Buddha in the meditative pose.
Four characters, "Chin-kuang-ming-ssu" (Monastary of Golden Splendor), in ink at the lower left of the painting. These seem to have been "written" to indcate ownership by a monastary of that name.
There are three collector's seals affixed to the painting, all belonging to John M. Crawford.
- Published References
- Max Loehr, Laurence Sickman, Lien-sheng Yang. Chinese Painting and Calligraphy from the Collection of John M. Crawford Jr.: At the Victoria and Albert Museum, 17 June to 1 August 1965. Exh. cat. London, June 17 - August 1, 1965. p. 51.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum