Jean-Pierre Dubosc (1903-1988), Paris and Lugano 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift from Jean-Pierre Dubosc in 1960 
 Jean-Pierre Dubosc acquired the right-hand section of the painting "Palace Ladies Playing Double Sixes" around 1960, see James Cahill, “The Return of the Absent Servants: Chou Fang’s Double Sixes Restored,” Archives of the Chinese Art Society of America vol. 15 (1961), pp. 26-28. The main section of the painting was purchased by the Freer Gallery in 1939 from C. T. Loo, Dubosc’s father in law, see provenance record for F1939.37. It is not known when the painting was divided. The colophon by Chu Deyi on the main section of the painting, dated July 8-August 5, 1937, refers to a complete copy of the scroll in the National Palace Museum, Taipei and concludes that a section of the painting “was cut away at some point in a distant past.” See documentation for F1939.37/F960.4 in “Song and Yuan Dynasty Painting and Calligraphy,” http://www.asia.si.edu/SongYuan/F1939.37/F1939-37andF1960-4.Documentation.pdf.
 After the acquisition, this recovered fragment was reattached to F1939.37 and the painting has been restored, see Cahill 1961, cited in note 1.
- Previous Owner(s)
Jean-Pierre Dubosc 1903-1988
- Published References
- Thomas Lawton. "画中人 上海书画出版社." Chinese Figure Painting. Shanghai, China. .
- Suzuki Kei. Chugoku kaiga sogo zuroku [Comprehensive Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Painting]. 5 vols., Tokyo, 1982-1983. vol. 1: p. 205.
- Nancy Shatzman Steinhardt. Chinese Ladies in the Istanbul Albums. no. 1. fig. 145.
- Ellen Mae Johnston Laing. Scholars and Sages: A Study in Chinese Figure Paintings. Ann Arbor, 1967-1986. .
- Mary Ellen Hayward. The Influence of the Classical Oriental Tradition. vol. 14, no. 2 Chicago, Summer 1979. fig. 2.
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Thomas Lawton, Harold P. Stern. The Freer Gallery of Art. 2 vols., Washington and Tokyo, 1971-1972. cat. 37, vol. 1: pp. 156-8.
- Xie Zhiliu. "唐五代宋元名迹." The Song and Yuan Dynasties. Shanghai. pp. 33-35.
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 45.
- Hiromi Kinoshita. Art of China: Highlights from the Philadelphia Museum of Art. New Haven, Connecticut. p.146, fig. 48.
- Thomas Lawton. Chinese Figure Painting. Exh. cat. Washington, 1973. cat. 51, pp. 200-203.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."