H. Kahn Monif (died 1968), Persian Antique Gallery, New York, NY, to 1945 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from H. Kahn Monif in 1945
 Undated folder sheet note. For additional information, see Freer Gallery of Art Purchase List after 1920, Collections Management Office.
- Previous Owner(s)
H. Kahn Monif died 1968
Detached folio from a dispersed copy of the Shahnama (Book of kings) by Firdawsi; text: Persian in black naskhi script; recto: illustration and text: Siyawush cleaves an onager into equal halves while hunting with Afrasiyab, 4 columns, 19 lines; verso: text: Piran's Advice to Siyawush, 6 columns, 29 lines; one of a group of 6 folios.
Border: The text and the painting are set in red, green, gold, and blue rulings on cream-colored paper.
- Published References
- Marianna Shreve Simpson. The Illustration of an Epic: The Earliest Shahnama Manuscripts. Outstanding Dissertations in the Fine Arts New York and London. pp. 198, 280, 294, 296, fig. 83.
- Abolqasem Ferdowsi. The Shahnameh: The Persian Book of Kings. New York. p. 251.
- Marianna Shreve Simpson. Manuscripts and Mongols: Some Documented and Speculative Moments in East-West/Muslim-Christian Relations. vol. 30, no. 3 Raleigh, NC. p. 380, fig. 6.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."