Mary Chase Perry Stratton (1867-1961), Detroit, to 1917 
From 1917 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), given by Mary Chase Perry Stratton in 1917 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See American Pottery List, R. 6528, L. 2587, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. According to Curatorial Remark 1 in the object record: "Gift of Mary Chase Perry Stratton in 1946 to replace bowl which was broken. Original bowl [which was a purchase] bearing this number was catalogued as follows: Bowl: tall. Clay: dense, covered with glaze. Glaze: lustrous black mottled with iridescent red-violet. .152 x .143" According to Curatorial Remark 2, S. Hobbs, 1978, in the object record: "This flared bowl with slightly everted foot is a replacement for a very similar piece which was broken and returned to Pewabic Pottery to be fixed. The latter bowl was lost, so the Pottery made a replacement piece. The original was found, repaired and is now in the possession of Mrs. Ella Peters, who was Mrs. Stratton's secretary and her successor at the Pottery until it closed in 1965. ...The original bowl, which Mrs. Peters has, retains the Freer reserve number in red."
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
Mary Chase Perry Stratton (C.L. Freer source) 1867 - 1961
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Rights Statement
Copyright with artist