Reportedly excavated in Shensi province 
You Xiaoxi (late 19th-early 20th century), Shanghai, to 1917 
From 1917 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from You Xiaoxi in 1917 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 According to Curatorial Remark 2 in the object record.
 See Original Miscellaneous List, S.I. 1325, pg. 303, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 2.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
You Xiaoxi (C.L. Freer source) late 19th-early 20th century
- Published References
- Hayashi Minao. Jade of the Liang-chu Culture. no. 360 Tokyo, March 1981. fig. 1.
- Julia Murray. Neolithic Chinese Jades in the Freer Gallery of Art. vol. 14, no. 11 Hong Kong, November 1983. p. 17.
- Wu Hung. Bird Motifs in Eastern Yi Art. vol. 16, no. 10 Hong Kong, October 1985. p. 34.
- Elizabeth Childs-Johnson Fang Gu. Yuqi shidai: Meiguo bowuguan cang Zhongguo zaoqi yuqi (The Jade Age: Early Chinese Jades in American Museums). Beijing, 2009. p. 54.
- Rende You. Shouwen yu xiaowen de youhuo: Xinfaxian de chuanshi Longshan wenhua yuqi. No. 138 Taipei, 1994. p. 55, fig. 7.
- Minao Hayashi. Chūgoku kogyokuki sōsetsu. Tokyo, 1999. p. 202, fig. 5: 21.
- Minao Hayashi. Chūgoku kogyoku no kenkyū. Tokyo, 1991. p. 294, fig. 4: 62.
- New Frontiers in Global Archaeology (Quan qiu hua bei jing xia kao gu xue xin qian yan): Defining China's Ancient Traditions (jie du Zhongguo gu dai chuan tong). New York, 2008. p. 314.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum