Purportedly found at Xiaxi, Zhejiang 
You Xiaoxi, (late 19th–early 20th century), Shanghai, to 1916 
From 1916 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854–1919), purchased from You Xiaoxi, in New York, in 1916 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 According to Curatorial Remark 10, Julia K. Murray, 1982, in the object record "A review of the Original Miscellaneous List shows that this object was excavated in Hsiaki [Xiaxi] 下溪, Chekiang [Zhejiang] 浙江."
 See Original Miscellaneous List, S.I. 1055, p. 235, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 2.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
You Xiaoxi (C.L. Freer source) late 19th-early 20th century
Ornament; rounded plaque with straight base; obverse slightly convex; reverse slightly concave with three double perforations; opaque, mottled cream and tans; silvery incrustation, more profuse on reverse; decoration: carved in low relief and incised, a stylized face with geometric pattern over and about it.
Acquired with a box.
- Published References
- Na Chih-liang. Yu ch'i tz'u t'ien [Dictionary of Chinese Jade]. Taipei, 1982. vol. 2: p. 36.
- Joan Hartman-Goldsmith. Early Chinese Jades at the Freer Gallery. vol. 27, no. 4, Winter 1981-1982. fig. 2-2a.
- Hayashi Minao. Jade of the Liang-chu Culture. no. 360 Tokyo, March 1981. fig. 10.
- Alfred Salmony. Carved Jade of Ancient China. Berkeley, 1938. pl. 28, no. 5.
- You Xiaoxi, Hsiao-chi Yu in, Chi-Tseng Chang. "游筱溪." Masterpieces of Chinese National Art: The Collection of Mr. Seaouke'e Yue. Shanghai, 1916. no. 32B.
- Julia Murray. Neolithic Chinese Jades in the Freer Gallery of Art. vol. 14, no. 11 Hong Kong, November 1983. p. 18.
- Elizabeth Childs-Johnson. Dragons, Masks, Axes and Blades from Four Newly-documented Jade-producing Cultures of Ancient China. vol. 19, no. 4 Hong Kong, 1988. p. 35, fig. 18.
- Doris J. Dohrenwend. Jade Demonic Images from Early China. vol. 10 Washington and Ann Arbor, 1975. pp. 55-78, fig. 46.
- Elizabeth Childs-Johnson, Fang Gu. Yuqi shidai: Meiguo bowuguan cang Zhongguo zaoqi yuqi [The Jade Age: Early Chinese Jades in American Museums]. Beijing, 2009. p. 61.
- Textile: The Journal of Cloth and Culture., July 2009. p. 181, fig. 1a.
- Thomas Lawton, Linda Merrill. Freer: a legacy of art. Washington and New York, 1993. p. 205, fig. 139.
- Minao Hayashi. Chūgoku kogyoku no kenkyū. Tokyo, 1991. p. 289, fig. 4: 48.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."