Dr. John Calvin Ferguson (1866-1945), Newton, MA, to 1914 
From 1914 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Dr. John Calvin Ferguson in 1914 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Kakemono and Makimono List, L. 937, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This object exhibits seals, colophons, or inscriptions that could provide additional information regarding the object’s history; see Curatorial Remarks in the object record for further details.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
John Calvin Ferguson (C.L. Freer source) 1866-1945
- Published References
- Thomas Lawton. "画中人 上海书画出版社." Chinese Figure Painting. Shanghai, China. .
- Hai wai i chen (Chinese Art in Overseas Collections). Taipei, 1985. vol. 1, no. 3.
- Chung kuo ming hua chi / Zhongguo ming hua ji (Famous Chinese Paintings). 40 vols., Shanghai, 1923-1930. pl. 1.
- Richard Ettinghausen Ernst Kuhnel. A Survey of Persian Art from Prehistoric Times to the Present. 6 vols., London and New York, 1938 - 1939. vol. 3, p. 2278.
- Osvald Siren. Central Asian Influences in Chinese Painting of the T'ang Period. Paris. p. 16, fig. 9.
- Thomas Lawton. Chinese Figure Painting. Exh. cat. Washington, 1973. cat. 25, pp. 112-115.
- Suzuki Kei. Chugoku kaiga sogo zuroku (Comprehensive Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Painting). 5 vols., Tokyo, 1982-1983. p. 250.
- Zhuang Shen. Sui Tang shi dai Yutian zu ji zhi fu zi hua jia (Wei-chih Po-chih-na and his son, painters of Khotan ancestry in the Sui Tang period). Zhong yang yan jiu yuan li shi yu yan yan jiu suo ji kan, vol. 4 Taibei. pp. 403-454.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum