Giovanni Dattari (circa 1858-1923), Cairo, Egypt, to 1909 
From 1909 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Giovanni Dattari in 1909 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See S.I. 189, Miscellaneous List, Egyptian Glass, pgs. 1 and 5, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This piece is part of a collection of glass that was purchased en bloc and includes 1,388 specimens (for further purchase information, see the folder for F1909.332).
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Giovanni Dattari (C.L. Freer source) 1858-1923
Vessels such as this are the masterpieces of Freer's Egyptian purchases. Of superb quality and beautifully preserved, they remain the world's premier collection of Egyptian glass vessels produced during Dynasty 18 (1550-1307 b.c.). The rich blues and blue-greens and the lustrous surfaces that appealed to Freer were also prized by ancient artisans, who sought to imitate in glass the colors and appearance of favored gemstones, especially turquoise and lapis lazuli. The vessels were made by winding threads of molten glass around a core of sand, clay, and mud.
These small vessels were fashioned as containers for costly perfumed ointments, scented oils, and cosmetics. Comparison with vessels and fragments excavated from royal glass workshops suggests that many of the Freer examples were made during the reigns of the pharaohs Amenhotep III (1391-1353 b.c.) and Amenhotep IV, who changed his name to Akhenaten (1353-1335 b.c.). They may likewise be the products of royal workshops.
- Published References
- John D. Cooney. Catalogue of Egyptian Antiquities in the British Museum. 7 vols., London, 1968-1987. vol. 4.
- Richard Ettinghausen. Ancient Glass in the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington, 1962. p. 15, fig. 22.
- Birgit Schlick-Nolte. Die Glasgefasse im alten Agypten. Munchner agyptologische Studien, 14 Berlin. p. 143, pl. 32, fig. 17.
- Susan H. Auth. Ancient Egyptian Glass from the Dattari Collection. vol. 118, no. 258 London, August 1983. pp. 160-163, fig. 2.
- Arielle P. Kozloff, Betsy Morrell Bryan, Lawrence Michael Berman, Elizabeth Delange. Egypt's Dazzling Sun: Amenhotep III and His World. Exh. cat. Bloomington, IN and Cleveland, July 1, 1992 - May 31, 1993. pp. 376-377, fig. 12.6.
- Collection Area(s)
- Ancient Egyptian Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."