Ta Kou Chai, Beijing, to 1909 
From 1909 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Ta Kou Chai in 1909 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Pottery List, L. 2033, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. According to Ingrid Larsen, "'Don’t Send Ming or Later Pictures': Charles Lang Freer and the First Major Collection of Chinese Painting in an American Museum," Ars Orientalis vol. 40 (2011), pg. 18, Ta Kou Tchai was another spelling for Daguzhai, a Beijing curio shop owned by a dealer named Huo Mingzhi (who was born 1879, and whom Charles Lang Freer referred to as Mr. Ho).
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Ta Kou Chai (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."