From 1897 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Thomas Wilmer Dewing in 1897 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 Object file.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Thomas Wilmer Dewing (C.L. Freer source) 1851-1938
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
- Published References
- Susan Hobbs. Thomas Wilmer Dewing: Beauty into Art: A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, CT, November 13, 2018. pg 282, pl 121.
- Mary Ellen Hayward. The Influence of the Classical Oriental Tradition. vol. 14, no. 2 Chicago, Summer 1979. fig. 22.
- Kathleen Pyne. Classical Figures: A Folding Screen by Thomas Dewing. vol. 59, no. 1 Detroit, 1981. p. 6.
- Ideals of Beauty: Asian and American Art in the Freer and Sackler Galleries. Thames and Hudson World of Art London and Washington, 2010. pp. 20-21.
- Susan Hobbs. Thomas Dewing in Cornish, 1885-1905. vol. XVII, no. 2 New York, Spring 1985. p. 23, fig. 21.
- Susan Hobbs. The Art of Thomas Wilmer Dewing: Beauty Reconfigured. Exh. cat. Washington, 1996. p. 27, fig. 20.
- Michael Komanecky. The Folding Image: Screens by Western Artists of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries. Exh. cat. New Haven, 1984. p. 104, fig. 115.
- Asma Naeem. Out of Earshot: Sound, Technology, and Power in American Art, 1860-1900. Oakland, California. p. 154, fig. 63.
- David Park Curry. Charles Lang Freer and American Art. vol. 118, no. 258, special issue., August 1983. pp. 168-79, pl. 11.
- Thomas Lawton, Linda Merrill. Freer: a legacy of art. Washington and New York, 1993. pp. 172, 174, fig. 118.
- Melody Barnett Deusner. Aesthetic Painting in Britain and America: Collectors, Art Worlds, Networks. London, England, November 17, 2020. p. 194, fig. 91a.
- Sarah Lea Burns. The Poetic Mode in American Paintings: George Fuller and Thomas Dewing. Ann Arbor, 1983. pp. 236-37, 269, 277, 278, 295-99, 429, fig. 55.
- Royal Cortissoz. An American Artist Canonized in the Freer Gallery. vol. LXXIV, November 1923. p. 543.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."