From 1909 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Abbott Handerson Thayer on April 7, 1909 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Voucher April 7, 1909, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. See also, Curatorial Remarks 3 and 4 in the object record.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Abbott Handerson Thayer (C.L. Freer source) 1849-1921
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
- Published References
- Smithsonian Institution. Centennial Exhibition of Paintings by Abbott Handerson Thayer, N.A. (1849-1921): August 12th through December 1949. Exh. cat. Washington, August 12 - December 1949. cat. 28.
- Martha Banta. Imaging American Women: Ideas and Ideals in Cultural History. New York, 1987. fig. 9.15.
- Charles Lang Freer University of Michigan Club of Detroit. List of a Selection of Art Objects Owned by the National Gallery of Art (Freer Collection) Exhibited to Members of the University of Michigan Club of Detroit, June 6th, 1914. Exh. cat. Detroit, June 6th, 1914. cat. 18, p. 4.
- Thomas B. Brumbaugh. Womanhood Idealized: The Late Works of Abbott Handerson Thayer., September-October 1980. p. 6.
- Nathaniel Pousette-Dart Royal Cortissoz. Abbott H. Thayer. Distinguished American artists New York. p. 10.
- Society of American Artists, Catalogue of the Twenty-Eighth Exhibition, 1906. Exh. cat. New York, March 17 - April 22, 1906. cat. 320, p. 58.
- Ross Anderson. Abbott Handerson Thayer. Syracuse. p. 76.
- Nelson C. White. Abbott H. Thayer: Painter and Naturalist. Hartford. p. 210.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum