Monastery of the Vine-dresser, near Giza, Egypt 
Ali Arabi, Giza, Egypt, to 1906 
From 1906 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Ali Arabi in Giza, Egypt, on December 19, 1906 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See object file for F1906.274, folder sheet note, Fr. Theodore Peterson, St. Paul's College, Catholic University, 1957.
 For purchase information, see object file for F1906.274. Also see Original Miscellaneous List, Biblical Mss. Section, S.I. 1467, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 2.
- Previous Owner(s)
Ali Arabi (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
- Published References
- The Early Christian Book. Washington, D.C. cover and fig. 3.
- Henry A. Sanders. New Manuscripts of the Bible from Egypt. 2nd series, vol. 12, no. 1 Boston, January - March, 1908. pl. 3.
- Jules Leroy. Les Manuscrits Coptes et Coptes-Arabes Illustrates. Bibliothèque archéologique et historique Paris. pl. 26.
- Freer Gallery of Art. Gallery Book I: Exhibition of July 19, 1933. Washington, July 19, 1933. .
- Caspar Rene Gregory. Das Freer Logion. Gregory, C.R. Versuche und entwurfe. 1 Leipzig. pl. 4.
- Walter Dennison Charles Rufus Morey. Studies in East Christian and Roman Art. University of Michigan Humanistic Series, 12 New York. .
- Christopher Bamford. The Joy of Two Notes on Friendship in the Gospels., Winter 2004. p. 13.
- Ann C. Gunter. A Collector's Journey: Charles Lang Freer and Egypt. Washington and London, 2002. p. 17, fig. 1.2.
- Thomas Lawton Linda Merrill. Freer: a legacy of art. Washington and New York, 1993. p. 67, fig. 46.
- Kurt Weitzman. An early Coptic/Arabic miniature in Leningrad. vol. 10 Ann Arbor, Mich., 1943. pp. 119-134, fig. 7.
- Meyer Schapiro. The Language of Forms: Lectures on Insular Manuscript Art. New York. p. 120.
- Dr. Michelle Brown. In The Beginning: Bibles Before the Year 1000. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 28, p.145,150-1, 268.
- Gary Vikan. Byzantine Art as a Mirror of its Public. vol. 118, no. 283 London, August 1983. pp. 164-167.
- The Manuscripts of the Gospel in the Freer Collection. vol. 29 Ann Arbor, March 1913. pp. 257, 279.
- Edwards Park. Treasures from the Smithsonian Institution., 1st ed. Washington and New York. p. 329.
- introduction by Henry A. Sanders. Facsimile of the Washington Manuscript of the Four Gospels in the Freer Collection. Ann Arbor, 1912. p. 372.
- Seymour de Ricci W. J. Wilson. Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada. 3 vols., New York, 1935-1940. no. 3, p. 465.
- Collection Area(s)
- Biblical Manuscripts
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum