Thomas E. Waggaman (1839-1906), Washington, DC, to 1905 
From 1905 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased at the sale of the Waggaman Collection, American Art Association, New York, NY, January 25-February 3, 1905 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Screen List, pg. 30, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Thomas E. Waggaman 1839 - 1906
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
American Art Association (C.L. Freer source) established 1883
- Published References
- Zaigai hiho (Japanese Paintings in Western Collections). 3 vols., Tokyo. pl. 91.
- Ann Arbor Art Association. Exhibition of Oriental and American Art: Under the Joint Auspices of the Alumni Memorial Committee and the Ann Arbor Art Association, on the Occasion of the Opening of the Alumni Memorial Hall, University of Michigan. Exh. cat. Ann Arbor and Detroit, May 11 - May 30, 1910. opp. p. 4.
- Ernest Francisco Fenollosa. Epochs of Chinese and Japanese Art: An Outline History of East Asiatic Design. 2 vols., London and New York. opp. p. 84.
- Buffalo Fine Arts Academy. Academy notes. Buffalo, July 1910. p. 3.
- "400年 雲谷等顔展 〜雪舟を継いだ男." Unkoku Togan: 400th Memorial Retrospective. Exh. cat. Yamaguchi, Japan. p. 10, fig. 3.
- Sesshu. A landscape [screen. FGA005.20]., no. 97. pp. 15-16, pl. 4.
- Unkoku Togan to Momoyama jidai: Catalog of an exhibition held at Yamaguchi Kenritsu Bijutsukan, June 12-July 22, 1984. Exh. cat. Yamaguchi. p. 49.
- Keiko Kawamoto. Nihon byobue shusei. 18 vols., Tokyo, 1977-1982. p. 111, pl. 20.
- Thomas Lawton Linda Merrill. Freer: a legacy of art. Washington and New York, 1993. pp. 142-143, fig. 95.
- Nakamura Tanio Kanazawa Hiroshi. Sesshu gagyo shusei. Tokyo. pp. 152-153, 246.
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Thomas Lawton, Harold P. Stern. The Freer Gallery of Art. 2 vols., Washington and Tokyo, 1971-1972. cat. 73, p. 174.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum