John James Cowan (1846-1936), to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from John James Cowan in 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Paintings, pg. 19, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
John James Cowan (C.L. Freer source) 1846 - 1936
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- Kenneth Myers. Mr. Whistler's Gallery: Pictures at an 1884 Exhibition. Washington. cat. 22, p. 47.
- Mortimer Menpes. Whistler As I Knew Him. London. p. 82.
- Kenneth Myers. Mr. Whistler's Gallery: the art of displaying art. New York, November 2003. p. 147.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 191, pl. 117.
- Elisabeth Luther Cary. The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study., First edition. New York, 1907. No. 239, p. 194.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum