William Marchant & Co., London, to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from William Marchant & Co. in 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Lithographs, pg. 27, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
William Marchant & Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
A multicolor lithograph is made from a set of lithographic stones, one for each color to be printed. Whistler began to experiment with color lithography in 1890, producing small editions of eight subjects before abandoning the medium in 1895. In his color lithographs, as in all his mature work, Whistler used color sparingly. Rejecting the grand effects of contemporary poster artists such as Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Whistler sought to create prints with the subtlety and texture of his most delicate pastels.
Whistler lithographs are identified by "C" numbers as described in The Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler (Chicago: The Art Institute of Chicago, 1998). This print is C45.
- Published References
- Allen Staley. Whistler Lithographs: An Illustrated Catalogue Raisonne. London. cat. 56.
- The Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler. 2 vol., Chicago and New York, 1998. .
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum