Bunshichi Kobayashi (circa 1861-1923), Boston, San Francisco, Tokyo, and Yokohama, to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Bunshichi Kobayashi in 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Album List, pg. 1, Sketches by Hokusai, S.I. 4, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Bunshichi Kobayashi (C.L. Freer source) circa 1861 - 1923
- Published References
- Harold P. Stern. Hokusai: Paintings and Drawings in the Freer Gallery of Art. Exh. cat. Washington. cover.
- Gerald Lazare. East Meets West: The Art of Gerald & Setsuko Lazare. p. 41, pl. 14.
- Ann Yonemura. Hokusai: Volume One. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 37, p. 46-47.
- Calendar of Exhibitions. vol. 15, no. 5 Hong Kong, May 1984. p. 62.
- Ann Yonemura et al. Hokusai: Volume Two. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 49, p. 62.
- Harold P. Stern. Ukiyo-e Painting. Exh. cat. Washington and Baltimore, 1973. cat. 105, pp. 276-277.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum