Bunshichi Kobayashi (circa 1861-1923), Boston, San Francisco, Tokyo, and Yokohama, to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Bunshichi Kobayashi, in Detroit, MI, in 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Panel List, L. 41, pg. 14, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
Bunshichi Kobayashi (C.L. Freer source) circa 1861 - 1923
In contrast to most other ukiyo-e painters who were trained in print design, Hokusai developed an interest in landscape as a subject. In this painting dated around 1802, early in the period when he became an independent artist, Hokusai reveals his mastery of ink landscape techniques. His style in this work is more closely linked to interpretations of Chinese painting styles by artists such as Kano Tan'yu (1602-1674) than to contemporary Chinese-inspired styles prevalent in Japan.
- Published References
- Hokusai nikuhitsuga taisei (Compilation of paintings by Hokusai). Tokyo. no. 30.
- Harold P. Stern Narasaki Muneshige. Ukiyo-e shuka. vol. 16, Tokyo. no. 13.
- Ernest Francisco Fenollosa. Catalogue of the Exhibition of Paintings of Hokusai: Held at the Japan Fine Art Association, Uyeno Park, Tókio, from 13th to 30th January, 1900. Exh. cat. Tokyo, January 13 - 30, 1900. cat. 30.
- Jack Hillier. Hokusai Drawings. London. pl. 9.
- Katharina Schmidt Siegmar Holsten. Aus der fliessend-verganglichen Welt : japanische Pinselzeichnungen und Holzschnittbucher von 1600 bis 1900, Staatliche Kunsthalle Baden-Baden, 15. Juli bis 9. September 1984. Exh. cat. Baden-Baden, July 15 - September 9, 1984. p. 30.
- Ann Yonemura et al. Hokusai: Volume Two. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 30, p. 30, 54.
- Ann Yonemura. Hokusai: Volume One. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 107, pp. 164-165.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum