Bertrand Buchanan MacGeorge (circa 1845 - 1924), Glasgow, Scotland 
Edward G. Kennedy (1849-1932), New York 
H. Wunderlich & Co., New York to 1903 
From 1903 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from H. Wunderlich & Co., through Thomas Wilmer Dewing (1851-1938), in 1903 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 An undated folder sheet note in the object file states "MacGeorge Collection Stamp (BM)" (see Curatorial Remark 2c in the object record). Note that in regard to the periods of ownership by Kennedy and MacGeorge, the order of ownership, relative to each other, is not indicated. Bertrand Buchanan MacGeorge's Whistler collection "was sold in 1902 to H. Wunderlich and Co." (according to The Correspondence of James McNeill Whistler, University of Glasgow).
 An undated folder sheet note in the object file states "Kennedy Stamp (E.G.K.)" (see Curatorial Remark 2d in the object record). Also, see note 1.
 See Original Whistler List, Etchings, Voucher No. 10, March 1903, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 3.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Bertrand Buchanan MacGeorge ca. 1845-1924
Edward G. Kennedy 1849-1932
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
H. Wunderlich & Co. (C.L. Freer source) 1874-1912
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonné," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G316 state 1 of 3.
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, Joanna Meacock. James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonée., 2012. .
- Howard Mansfield. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Chicago, 1909. .
- Katharine Lochnan. The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler. Exh. cat. New Haven and London, 1984. .
- Edward G. Kennedy. The Etched Work of Whistler: Illustrated by Reproductions in Collotype of the Different States of the Plates. 4 vols., New York, 1910. .
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."