Edward G. Kennedy (1849-1932), New York 
Howard Mansfield (1849-1938), New York 
H. Wunderlich & Co., New York, NY, to 1903 
From 1903 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from H. Wunderlich & Co., through Thomas Wilmer Dewing (1851-1938), in 1903 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 An undated folder sheet note in the object file states "Two stamps on the back: E.G.K. enclosed in a rectangle (Kennedy stamp). H.M. within a circle (Mansfield stamp)" (see Curatorial Remark 2 in the object record). Note that in regard to the periods of ownership by Kennedy and Mansfield, the order of ownership, relative to each other, is not indicated.
 See note 1.
 See Original Whistler List, Etchings, Voucher No. 10, March 1903, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 3.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Edward G. Kennedy 1849-1932
Howard Mansfield 1849-1938
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
H. Wunderlich & Co. (C.L. Freer source) 1874-1912
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonne," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G267 state 2 of 2.
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, Joanna Meacock. James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonée., 2012. .
- Daniel E. Sutherland. Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake. .
- Anna Gruetzner. A Fragile Modernism: Whistler and His Impressionist Followers. New Haven and London, 2007. fig. 136.
- Howard Mansfield. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Chicago, 1909. .
- Katharine Lochnan. The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler. Exh. cat. New Haven and London, 1984. .
- Edward G. Kennedy. The Etched Work of Whistler: Illustrated by Reproductions in Collotype of the Different States of the Plates. 4 vols., New York, 1910. .
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."