Mortimer Menpes (1855-1938), England 
Obach & Co., London, to 1903 
From 1903 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Obach & Co. in 1903 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Freer Gallery of Art Purchase List file, Collections Management Office.
 See Original Whistler List, Etchings, Voucher No. 11, December 1903, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 2.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Obach & Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Mortimer Menpes United Kingdom, born Australia, 1855 - 1938
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonne," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G159 state 2 of 6.
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, Joanna Meacock. James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonée., 2012. .
- Howard Mansfield. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Chicago, 1909. .
- Katharine Lochnan. The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler. Exh. cat. New Haven and London, 1984. .
- Edward G. Kennedy. The Etched Work of Whistler: Illustrated by Reproductions in Collotype of the Different States of the Plates. 4 vols., New York, 1910. .
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum