Unidentified private dealer, Paris, to 1903 
From 1903 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from an unidentified private dealer in Paris, through Dikran G. Kelekian (1868-1951), Paris, in November 1903 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 Undated folder sheet note. See Voucher No. 1, November 1903, and Original Pottery List, L. 1229, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. See also, Curatorial Remark 1 in the object record.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
Dikran Garabed Kelekian (C.L. Freer source) 1868 - 1951
Ovoidal body, bold spreading foot, cylindrical neck and two loop handles. A crack around the shoulder. Decoration: incised in the paste.
Earthenware jars of this shape, covered with an alkaline glaze typically colored green, turquoise, or brown, are characteristic products of Mesopotamia in the Parthian period (ca. 160 B.C.E.-224 C.E.).
- Published References
- Ann C. Gunter. A Collector's Journey: Charles Lang Freer and Egypt. Washington and London, 2002. p. 34, fig. 2.6.
- St. John Simpson. Pottery in the Making: World Ceramic Traditions. Exh. cat. London and Washington, July 3 - December 31, 1997. pp. 74-79.
- Collection Area(s)
- Ancient Near Eastern Art
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum