Thomas E. Kirby (1846-1924), New York to 1902 
From 1902 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Thomas E. Kirby in 1902 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Panel List, L. 51, pg. 12, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Thomas E. Kirby (C.L. Freer source) 1846 - 1924
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
- Published References
- Ernest Francisco Fenollosa. Catalogue of the Exhibition of Paintings of Hokusai: Held at the Japan Fine Art Association, Uyeno Park, Tókio, from 13th to 30th January, 1900. Exh. cat. Tokyo, January 13 - 30, 1900. no. 43, A, B, C.
- Ann Yonemura. Hokusai: Volume One. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 21, p. 25-27.
- Ann Yonemura et al. Hokusai: Volume Two. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 45, p. 37, 60.
- Harold P. Stern Narasaki Muneshige. Ukiyo-e shuka. vol. 16, Tokyo. pp. 145-146, fig. 16.
- Harold P. Stern. Ukiyo-e Painting. Exh. cat. Washington and Baltimore, 1973. cat. 91, pp. 248-249.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum