Henry Studdy Theobald (1847-1934), London, to 1902 
From 1902 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Henry Studdy Theobald in 1902 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Purchases from Thoebald, pg. 6, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. See also, Voucher No. 1, August 1902, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Henry Studdy Theobald (C.L. Freer source) 1847 - 1934
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
Standing figure of a woman, with one arm akimbo, posed before a yellow curtain; signed with the butterfly at the left.
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- Burns A. Stubbs Freer Gallery of Art. Paintings, pastels, drawings, prints, and copper plates by and attributed to American and European artists, together with a list of original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art. Occasional Papers Series 1, Washington, D.C. p. 18.
- Kenneth Myers. Mr. Whistler's Gallery: Pictures at an 1884 Exhibition. Washington. cat. 50, p. 77.
- Kenneth Myers. Mr. Whistler's Gallery: the art of displaying art. New York, November 2003. p. 148.
- Elisabeth Luther Cary. The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study., First edition. New York, 1907. no. 134, p. 179.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 203, pl. 134.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum