Bunkio Matsuki (1867-1940), Boston, to 1898 
From 1898 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Bunkio Matsuki in 1898 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 Undated folder sheet note. See Original Screen List, S.I. 29, pg. 4, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Bunkio Matsuki (C.L. Freer source) 1867-1940
- Published References
- Arte del Giappone e della Corea. Elite, storia universale dell'arte, 7 Milan. pl. 91.
- Encyclopedia Britannica., 14th ed. New York. opp. p. 38, pl. 4, no. 3.
- Lawrence Binyon. Painting in the Far East: An Introduction to the History of Pictorial Art in Asia Especially China and Japan., 1st ed. London and New York, 1908 - 1969. .
- Arthur Morrison. The Painters of Japan. 2 vols., London and Edinburgh. opp. p. 124, pl. 39.
- Ann Arbor Art Association. Exhibition of Oriental and American Art: Under the Joint Auspices of the Alumni Memorial Committee and the Ann Arbor Art Association, on the Occasion of the Opening of the Alumni Memorial Hall, University of Michigan. Exh. cat. Ann Arbor and Detroit, May 11 - May 30, 1910. opp. p. 8.
- Lawrence Binyon. Japanese Art. International art series London and Leipzig. opp. p. 37.
- Lawrence Binyon. A Group of Japanese Screen Paintings in the Freer Collection at Washington. vol. 4 New York, October 1916. frontispiece.
- Gaston Migeon. Chefs-d'œuvre d'art japonais. Paris. pl. 4, no. 18.
- Superb Exhibition of Oriental and American Art held under the auspices of the University of Michigan and the Art Association of Ann Arbor: Academy Notes. Buffalo, July 1910. p. 2.
- unknown title. vol. 12, no. 6 Washington, February 1936. p. 122.
- Capolavori nei secoli: Enciclopedia di tutte i popoli in tutti i tempi. 12 vols., Milan, 1961 - 1964. p. 145.
- Lawrence Binyon. The Spirit of Man in Asian Art: Being the Charles Eliot Norton Lectures Delivered in Harvard University, 1933-34. Cambridge, Massachusetts. pp. 171-172, pl. 57.
- Thomas Lawton, Linda Merrill. Freer: a legacy of art. Washington and New York, 1993. p. 211, fig. 145.
- Helen Gardner. Art Through the Ages: An Introduction to its History and Significance., 1st ed. New York. p. 463, pl. 174b.
- Wilfred B. Shaw. The Relation of Modern American Art to that of China and Japan, Demonstrated at the Recent Exhibition at Ann Arbor. vol. 18, no. 5 Syracuse, August 1910. p. 523.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."