Find yourself in the museums
Teen programs at the Freer|Sackler are exclusively for visitors ages 13–19. Take part to connect with inspirational artworks, go behind the scenes, meet artists, and get together with teens who share your interests.
Discover Art and Culture. Download the Freer Thinking Audio App, a location-based app featuring National Public Radio’s Robert Siegel narrating a gallery-highlights tour of 60 significant objects.
Below is more information about our Teen Council and other ways to get involved. Questions? Contact us at AsiaTeens@si.edu or 202.633.0465.
Keep an eye out for our upcoming teens-only programs, chances to learn more about Asian art and culture through hands-on art making.
The Freer|Sackler Teen Council is a group of twelve creative and dedicated high school students who help make the museums more welcoming and engaging for young people. The Teen Council plans and hosts events that bring DC-area teens to the museums to hang out, make and design art, and have unique and exciting experiences. Plus, we have a lot of fun and build an incredible community.
Deadline: June 30, 2019
Schedule and commitment required:
- Members must attend all Teen Council meetings (every other Thursday, October 2019–June 2020, 4–6:15 pm).
- Members must attend one Saturday workshop per month.
- Members must help out during the teen night in May 2020.
Teen Council applicants should be:
- DC, Virginia, and Maryland high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- great at communication, problem solving, and multitasking
- enthusiastic about working on long-term projects
- excited to share ideas but also open to different perspectives and opinions
- comfortable working collaboratively in teams and committees
- interested in documentary filmmaking
Teen Council members will have the opportunity to:
- design and lead public programs for teens
- network with artists, museum staff, and other unique, motivated, and collaborative teens
- use creative skills at world-class art museums
- develop experience in filmmaking
- gain public speaking and presentation experience
- develop as leaders and thinkers
- receive Smithsonian discounts (with volunteer ID)
- earn their choice of a $600 program award or community service hours
- enjoy great snacks at each meeting!
This post is also available in: 한국어