Head of the Buddha

Historical period(s)
Dvaravati period, 8th-10th century
Medium
Stucco
Dimensions
H x W x D: 18.5 × 13.3 × 13.7 cm (7 5/16 × 5 1/4 × 5 3/8 in)
Geography
Thailand, Ratchburi province, possibly Khu Bua site
Credit Line
Gift of Osborne and Gratia Hauge, and Victor and Takako Hauge
Accession Number
S2005.452
On View Location
Currently not on view
Classification(s)
Ceramic, Sculpture
Type

Buddhist sculpture

Keywords
Buddha, Buddhism, Dvaravati period (ca. 500 - 900), Thailand, ushnisha, WWII-era provenance
Provenance

From at least 1973 to 2005
Mr. and Mrs. Victor Hauge [1]

From 2005
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, gift of Mr. and Mrs. Victor Hauge in 2005

Notes:

[1] Object file. Acquired while Mr. and Mrs. Osborne and Gratia Hauge were living in Bangkok (1967-1972 or 1973). They were visited on various occasions by Victor and Taka Hauge. Major sources of acquisitions at this time were dealers in Bangkok, the weekend market in Bangkok, and vendors in Ayutthaya.

Previous Owner(s)

Victor and Takako Hauge American (1919 - 2013, 1923 - 2015)

Published References
  • Pamela Gutman Bob Hudson. Pyu Stucco at Pagan. vol. 14, no. 4, December 2005. pp. 20-22.
Collection Area(s)
Southeast Asian Art
Web Resources
Google Cultural Institute
F|S Southeast Asia
Rights Statement

Copyright with museum