Abel William Bahr (1877–1959), Shanghai, China; London, England; Montreal, Canada; New York, NY, and Ridgefield, Connecticut 
From 1963 to 1987
Arthur M. Sackler, New York, purchased from the Bahr Collection in 1963 
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, gift of Arthur M. Sackler on September 11, 1987 
 According to information provided by the Arthur M. Sackler Foundation, October 9, 2009.
 See no. 548: "Human face with projections above," on list provided by the Arthur M. Sackler Foundation, October 9, 2009, copy in object file.
 Pursuant to the agreement between Arthur M. Sackler and the Smithsonian Institution, dated July 28, 1982, legal title of the donated objects was transferred to the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery on September 11, 1987.
- Previous Owner(s)
Abel William Bahr 1877-1959
Dr. Arthur M. Sackler 1913-1987
The semi-human face has a pronounced bulbous nose in relief; almond-shaped eyes with incised outlines; fangs pointing both up and down; mouth revealing two rows of teeth; tall ornamented headdress; mottled green jade with white marbling; multiple holes at the bottom of the face. (Condition: Roughly carved around back of suspension holes and on left side of mask; slight nicks in edges; traces of calcification.)
- Published References
- Alfred Salmony. Carved Jade of Ancient China. Berkeley, 1938. cat. 4, pl. 32.
- Dr. Paul Singer. Chinese Art: A Thousand Masterpieces from the Arthur M. Sackler Collections. Washington, DC, 2000. p. 68, cat. 22.
- Wu Hung. Yizu zaoqi de yushi diaoke (A Group of Early Jade and Stone Carvings)., 1979. p. 70, fig. 15.
- Doris J. Dohrenwend. Jade Demonic Images from Early China. vol. 10 Washington and Ann Arbor, 1975. p. 70, fig. 35.
- et al. Asian Art in the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery: The Inaugural Gift. Washington, 1987. cat. 39, p. 83.
- New Frontiers in Global Archaeology (Quan qiu hua bei jing xia kao gu xue xin qian yan): Defining China's Ancient Traditions (jie du Zhongguo gu dai chuan tong). New York, 2008. p. 306.
- Minao Hayashi. Chūgoku kogyoku no kenkyū. Tokyo, 1991. p. 319, fig. 4: 94.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum