- Provenance information is currently unavailable
- Previous Owner(s)
Henri Vever 1854 - 1942
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Detached folio from a dispersed copy of the Qur'an; separate from facing folio S1986.65; recto: Sura al-Ma'ida (the Table spread) 5: part of 36-37 and part of 38, recto begins with "yawm al-qiyamati"; verso: sura 5: parts of 38 and 39, verso begins with "wa'l-sariqatu"; Arabic in black "eastern kufic (New Style)" script with stylized scrolling floral design, illuminated roundel verse markers and inscribed marginal medallions; vocalized in red, sukun in black; one column; 4 lines of text; one of a group of two folios.
Border: The text area is filled with palmette scrolls and set within an illuminated frame that terminates at the top and bottom in a semi-medallion.
- Published References
- Thomas W. Lentz. Pictures for the Islamic Book: Persian and Indian Painting in the Vever Collection. vol. 1, no. 4 New York, Fall 1988. p. 11, fig. 1.
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 1, p. 15.
- The Hague. Catalogus tentoonstelling van islamische kunst. cat. 1, p. 21.
- Dr. Massumeh Farhad. Arts of the Islamic World at the Sackler. vol. 43, no.3 Washington. p. 43, fig. 2.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum