- Provenance research underway.
Detached album folio; Dara-Shikoh with Main Mir and Mulla Shah; text in cartouches: Persian in black nasta'liq script; two unidentified quatrain within cartouches; obliterated seal; inscriptions containing the name of Mulla Shah, Dara-Shikoh, and Main Mir.
Border: The painting is set in gold and black rulings in a gold-sprinkled border, surrounded by a border with floral and animal motifs and marginal cartouches, mounted on a cream-colored paperboard.
Identifications on illustrations: right side (identifying upper middle figure in white): Mian Mir; left side (1, identifying figure facing Mian Mir): Mulla Shah; (2,identifying figure to left of Mulla Shah): Dara Shikoh.
Upper sides and top cartouches: 2 lines (4 hemistiches) of an unidentified quatrain: Dar kûy-i tu kaz dîda guhar mîrezad/ vaz har muzha khûnân-i jigar mîrezad/ chun nâma-i man burd kabûtar k'ânjâ/ jâmîst ki Jibrîl [ba] par mîrezad [In your lane.
"Where tear-pearls rain from my eyes,/ and from every lash my passion's blood spills,/ when the dove carries my message there,/ it is a goblet that Gabriel pours over his wings."
Lower sides and bottom cartouches: 3 hemistiches of an unidentified quatrain: Chun garm shavad zi bâda mârâ rag u pay/ kunjî u farâghatî u yak shîsha-i may/ bâ shâhid-i shûkh u shang u bâ barbat u nay.
"When our veins grow hot with wine--/ an empty corner, leisure and a bottle of wine--/ with an impudent drunk beauty and lute and flute /..."
- Published References
- Rene Grousset. The Civilizations of the East. 4 vols., New York and London, 1931-1934. vol. 2: p. 337, fig. 212.
- John Renard. Historical Dictionary of Sufism. Historical Dictionaries of Religions, Philosophies and Movements, no. 58 Lanham, Maryland. fig. 15.
- Michael Brand. The Vision of Kings: Art and Experience in India. Exh. cat. Canberra. cat. 77, p. 113.
- Milo Cleveland Beach. The Imperial Image: Paintings for the Mughal Court., 2nd ed. Washington and Ahmedabad, India, 2012. cat. 36, p. 164.
- Glenn D. Lowry, Susan Nemanzee. A Jeweler's Eye: Islamic Arts of the Book from the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 72, pp. 208-209.
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 377, pp. 322-323.
- Abolala Soudavar, Milo Cleveland Beach. Art of the Persian Court: Selections from the Art and History Trust Collection. New York. cat. 42, p. 362.
- Collection Area(s)
- South Asian and Himalayan Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."