From at least 1912
Charles Vignier (1863-1934), Paris, from at least 1912 
From at least 1913
Georges Demotte (1877-1923), Paris, from at least 1913 
Henri Vever (1854-1942), Paris and Noyers, France, to 1942 
From 1942 to 1986
Family member, Paris and Boulogne, France, by inheritance from Henri Vever, Paris and Noyers, France 
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, purchased from a family member, Paris and Boulogne, France 
 See Susan Nemazee, "Appendix 7: Chart of Recent Provenance" in An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection, Glenn D. Lowry et al (Washington, DC: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1988), p. 408.
 The object is documented as having appeared in the collection of Georges Demotte by at least March 1913. See citation in note 1.
 See Glenn D. Lowry et al., An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection (Washington, DC: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1988), pp. 300-301, no. 350.
 See the Agreement for the Purchase and Sale of the Henri Vever Collection of January 9, 1986, Collections Management Office.
 See note 4.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Henri Vever 1854-1942
Charles Vignier 1863-1934
Georges Demotte 1877-1923
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Detached album folio: Seated youth holding an album (safina)
Border: The drawing is set in a faded red inner frame an outer frame with calligraphic panels in Persian black nasta'liq script, mounted on paperboard with floral motifs.
Drawing held by the youth: "the slave of his majesty the king, Sayyid-Ali [ibn] Sayyid Muhammad."
- Published References
- Fredrik Robert Martin. The Miniature Painting and Painters of Persia, India, and Turkey from the 8th to the 18th Century. 2 vols., London. vol. 2: pl. 107.
- Martin Bernard Dickson, Stuart Cary Welch. The Houghton Shahnameh. 2 vols., Cambridge, Massachusetts. vol. 1: p. 189, fig. 246.
- Thomas W. Lentz. Pictures for the Islamic Book: Persian and Indian Painting in the Vever Collection. vol. 1, no. 4 New York, Fall 1988. pp. 26, 30, fig. 12.
- Oleg Grabar. Masterpieces of Islamic Art: The Decorated Page from the 8th to the 17th Century., English edition. New York. p. 132, pl. 60.
- Henry Corbin, Paul Pelliot, Eustache de Lorey. Les Arts de l'Iran, l'ancienne Perse, et Bagdad. Paris. cat. 68, p. 163.
- Glenn D. Lowry, Susan Nemanzee. A Jeweler's Eye: Islamic Arts of the Book from the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 64, pp. 192-193.
- Abolala Soudavar, Milo Cleveland Beach. Art of the Persian Court: Selections from the Art and History Trust Collection. New York. cat. 47, p. 199.
- Assadullah Souren Melikian-Chirvani. Le Chant du Monde: L'Art de l'Iran safavide, 1501-1736. Exh. cat. Paris. cat. 39, pp. 220-224.
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 350, pp. 300-301.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."