Charles Vignier (1863-1934), Paris, France. 
From 1908 to 1942
Henri Vever (1854-1942), Paris and Noyers, France, purchased from Charles Vignier, Paris, France on April 15, 1908. 
From 1942 to 1986
Family member, Paris and Boulogne, France, by inheritance from Henri Vever, Paris and Noyers, France. 
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, purchased from a family member, Paris and Boulogne, France. 
 See Glen D. Lowry and Susan Nemazee, "Appendix 2: Ledger of Acquisitions, 1894 and 1907-17" in A Jeweler’s Eye: Islamic Arts of the Book from the Vever Collection (Washington, DC: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1988), p. 229. See also Susan Nemazee, "Appendix 7: Chart of Recent Provenance" in An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection, Glenn D. Lowry et al. (Washington, DC: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1988), p. 407.
 See note 1.
 See the Agreement for the Purchase and Sale of the Henri Vever Collection of January 9, 1986, Collections Management Office.
 See note 3.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Henri Vever 1854-1942
Charles Vignier 1863-1934
Francois Mautin 1907 - 2003
Detached folio, right-hand half of a double-page illumination from the "Vignier Album"; facing folio (S1986.278); Pair of lovers; one of a group of six folios.
Border: The painting is within a central illuminated panel and a broad margin with landscape and scenes of feasting and fighting, mounted on paperboard.
- Published References
- Rene Grousset. The Civilizations of the East. 4 vols., New York and London, 1931-1934. vol. 1: p.355, fig. 269.
- Fredrik Robert Martin. The Miniature Painting and Painters of Persia, India, and Turkey from the 8th to the 18th Century. 2 vols., London. vol. 2: pl. 261.
- Henry René d'Allemagne. Du Khorassan au pays des Backhtiaris, trois mois de voyage en Perse. Paris. vol. 1: p. 24.
- "Le goût de l'Orient : Georges Marteau collectionneur." The taste of the East: Georges Marteau collector. Exh. cat. Paris. pp. 80-81, cat. 55.
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 324, pp. 273-274.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."