Georges Demotte (1877-1923), Paris, France. 
From 1912 to 1942
Henri Vever (1854-1942), Paris and Noyers, France, purchased from Georges Demotte, Paris, France on November 1912. 
From 1942 to 1986
Family member, Paris and Boulogne, France, by inheritance from Henri Vever, Paris and Noyers, France. 
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, purchased from a family member, Paris and Boulogne, France. 
 See Susan Nemazee, "Appendix 7: Chart of Recent Provenance" in An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection, Glenn D. Lowry et al (Washington, DC: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1988), p. 406. See also Glen D. Lowry and Susan Nemazee, "Appendix 2: Ledger of Acquisitions, 1894 and 1907-17" in A Jeweler’s Eye: Islamic Arts of the Book from the Vever Collection (Washington, DC: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1988), p. 232-33.
 See note 1.
 See the Agreement for the Purchase and Sale of the Henri Vever Collection of January 9, 1986, Collections Management Office.
 See note 3.
- Previous Owner(s)
Henri Vever 1854 - 1942
Georges Demotte 1877 - 1923
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Detached folio from a dispersed copy of Baburnama (Tuzuk-i Baburi) by Zahir-al-Din Muhammad Babur; Babur receives a courtier; one of a group of three folios.
Border: The painting is set in gold, red, and blue rulings in a border with gold landscape, bird and animal motifs, mounted within borders of a Rawdat al-safa page.
- Published References
- Brown. Publication title unknown. pl. 14.
- Thomas W. Lentz. Pictures for the Islamic Book: Persian and Indian Painting in the Vever Collection. vol. 1, no. 4 New York, Fall 1988. p. 30, 32, fig. 14.
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 60, p. 48-49.
- Milo Cleveland Beach. The Imperial Image: Paintings for the Mughal Court., 2nd. Washington and Ahmedabad, India, 2012. cat. 8A, pp. 62-3.
- Glenn D. Lowry Susan Nemanzee. A Jeweler's Eye: Islamic Arts of the Book from the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat. 49, pp. 162-163.
- Rene Grousset. The Civilizations of the East. 4 vols., New York and London, 1931-1934. p. 343, fig. 262.
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum