Alexis Rouart (1839-1911), Paris, France. 
Sale, Paris, Hôtel Drouot, May 12, 1911, no. 73. 
From 1911 to 1942
Henri Vever (1854-1942), Paris and Noyers, France, purchased at a Sale of Rouart’s collection at Hôtel Drouot on May 12, 1911. 
From 1942 to 1986
Family member, Paris and Boulogne, France, by inheritance from Henri Vever, Paris and Noyers, France. 
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, purchased from a family member, Paris and Boulogne, France. 
 The object was in the collection of Alexis Rouart (1893-1911) until 1911 when it was on sale at the auction at Hôtel Drout, Paris, France on May 12-13, 1911, see Rouart sale catalogue, May 12, 1911, no. 73. See Susan Nemazee, "Appendix 7: Chart of Recent Provenance" in An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection, Glenn D. Lowry et al (Washington, DC: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1988), p. 406.
 See note 1.
 According to Henri Vever’s ledger, he purchased the object on May 12, 1911. See Glen D. Lowry and Susan Nemazee, "Appendix 2: Ledger of Acquisitions, 1894 and 1907-17" in A Jeweler’s Eye: Islamic Arts of the Book from the Vever Collection (Washington, DC: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1988), p. 231. See also note 1.
 See the Agreement for the Purchase and Sale of the Henri Vever Collection of January 9, 1986, Collections Management Office.
 See note 4.
- Previous Owner(s)
Alexis Rouart French, 1839-1911
Henri Vever 1854-1942
Francois Mautin French, born 1907
Detached folio from an unidentified text: A ruler enthroned; top page inscription in Persian black nasta'liq script.
Border: The painting is set in gold and red rulings in an outer frame with gold and blue floral and geometric motifs; mounted on black paperboard.
Top right, “He (God) gave success, delight, and created invincible heroes."
- Published References
- unknown article. vol. 58, issue 1. Back cover.
- Rouart Sale Catalogue, May 12, 1911., May 12, 1911. cat. 73.
- Rene Grousset. The Civilizations of the East. 4 vols., New York and London, 1931-1934. vol. 1: p. 341, fig. 260.
- Henry René d'Allemagne. Du Khorassan au pays des Backhtiaris, trois mois de voyage en Perse. Paris. vol. 1: p. 38.
- Glenn D. Lowry, Milo Cleveland Beach, Elisabeth West FitzHugh, Susan Nemanzee, Janet Snyder. An Annotated and Illustrated Checklist of the Vever Collection. Washington and Seattle. cat.315, p. 267.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."