Robert Hatfield Ellsworth (born 1929), New York City, to 1997
Freer Gallery of Art, given by Robert Hatfield Ellsworth in 1997 
 The total gift from the Ellsworth collection consists of nearly three-hundred objects (F1997.42-.85 and F1998.83-294). All Chinese calligraphy in the proposed gift were published more than ten years ago in Mr. Ellsworth's Later Chinese Painting and Calligraphy: 1800-1950 vol. 3 (New York: Random House, 1986) (see Curatorial Note 4, Joseph Chang and Stephen D. Allee, May 19, 1998, in the object record).
- Previous Owner(s)
Robert Hatfield Ellsworth 1929-2014
- Published References
- Thomas Lawton, Joseph Chang, Stephen Allee. Brushing the Past: Later Chinese Calligraphy from the Gift of Robert Haftield Ellsworth. Exh. cat. Washington. cat. 12, pp. 98-101.
- Thomas Lawton Thomas W. Lentz. Beyond the Legacy: Anniversary Acquisitions for the Freer Gallery of Art and the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery. vol. 1 Washington, 1998. p. 259, fig. 2.
- Robert Hatfield Ellsworth. Later Chinese Painting and Calligraphy: 1800-1950., 1st edition. New York. pp. 285, 92.
- et. al. Chinese Calligraphy. The Culture and Civilization of China New Haven and Beijing. p. 446, pl. 10.6.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum