From at least 1942 to 1946
C. T. Loo & Co., New York, from at least 1942 
From 1946 to 1951
Eduard von der Heydt (1882-1964), Ascona, Switzerland, purchased from C. T. Loo in April 1946 and lent to the Buffalo Museum of Science, Buffalo, New York 
US Government vested Eduard von der Heydt's property under the provisions of "Trading with the Enemy Act" by vesting order, dated August 21, 1951 
From 1964 to 1973
National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, from March 1964 
Freer Gallery of Art, transferred from National Museum of Natural History in 1973 
 C. T. Loo exhibited the sculpture in 1942, see C. T. Loo & Co., An Exhibition of the Sculpture of Greater India: A Fully Illustrated Catalogue, exh. cat. (New York: C. T. Loo & Co., 1942), cat. 50 (ill.). In a correspondence with Chauncey J. Hamlin, Loo states that the sculpture "was bought about 20 years ago in Paris from a dealer, Mr. Raton, who told me that this head - together with two bas-reliefs (one illustrated in our catalogue "Sculpture of Greater India [as no.] 51 and the other similar bas-relief...sold to Dr. [Denman Waldo] Ross and...now in the Boston Museum)...were owned by a Dutch resident in the Pyrénées (France) whose parents had those things brought our from Java in the middle of the 19th century; unfortunately Mr. Raton did not give me the name of the original owner," Loo to Hamlin, August 19, 1942, Chauncey J. Hamlin papers, Buffalo Museum of Science. Loo shipped the sculpture to Buffalo on August 19, 1942.
 See "Catalogue of the Von der Heydt Loan to the Buffalo Museum of Science" where the sculpture is documented under an inventory card no. 4648.1, copy in object file. According to information on the inventory card, Eduard von der Heydt purchased the sculpture from C. T. Loo in April 1946.
 See Vesting Order No. 18344, August 21, 1951, Office of Alien Property, Department of Justice. Eduard von der Heydt exhausted all the legal remedies against the forfeiture of his property provided to him by the Trading with the Enemy Act.
 Attorney General, Robert Kennedy authorized transfer of the von der Heydt collection from Buffalo Museum of Science to the custody of the Smithsonian Institution in March 1964. The collection was transferred to the National Museum of Natural History. In 1966 US Congress legislated transferring the title of the von der Heydt collection to the Smithsonian Institution, see Public Law 89-503, 80 Stat. 287, July 18, 1966. The sculpture was accessioned under no. 448109, see "Smithsonian Office of Anthropology Accession Data," copy in object file.
 The sculpture was among 13 objects in the von der Heydt collection transferred from National Museum of Natural History to the Freer Gallery of Art, see "Smithsonian Institution Intramural Transfer of Specimens" memorandum, dated January 29, 1973, copy in object file. The sculpture was accessioned to the Freer Gallery Study Collection under no. FSC-S-15 and subsequently transferred to the permanent collection in August 1978.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
National Museum of Natural History, Department of Anthropology, Smithsonian Institution
Baron Eduard von der Heydt 1882-1964
No matter when or where an image of the Buddha was made, notable markers of his identity remain the same. These characteristics, which include the cranial bump or hair bun (ushnisha) and the dot between his eyes (urna), are outward signs of his inner perfection. His long earlobes, stretched by the plug-disk earrings he wore as a prince, remind us that he renounced all worldly attachments.
In the eighth and ninth centuries, heightened contact with India brought the teachings of Buddhism to Indonesia, where it was adapted and transformed. Indonesia's rulers patronized monumental sacred constructions that blended Indic traditions of building with local imagery and architectural techniques. The great stupa-mandala of Borobudur, and the structural temple Candi Sewu are the best known Buddhist monuments, but dozens more once spread across the Javanese landscape. The consistent style of carving the Buddha throughout Java in the eighth and ninth centuries is remarkable. This head may come from any one of these sites.
- Published References
- Julia Murray. A Decade of Discovery: Selected Acquisitions 1970-1980. Exh. cat. Washington, 1979. cat. 84, p. 110.
- Collection Area(s)
- Southeast Asian Art
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."