Yamanaka and Company, Ltd., Osaka, Japan. 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from Yamanaka and Company, Ltd., Osaka, Japan. 
 Curatorial Remark 1 in the object record.
 See note 1.
- Previous Owner(s)
Yamanaka and Co.
Light gray clay. Four wide loop feet on base, with glazed bottoms. Underglaze iron painted decoration (appearing gray except where iron has bled through glaze and shows dark brown) of watchman's hut in millet field with two crows. Feldspathic glaze, thick and translucent gray-white; unglazed patch of irregular shape on base. Six spur marks evenly spaced around perimeter of base. Lacquer repairs in firing cracks.
- Published References
- Oriental Ceramics (Toyo Toji Taikan): The World's Great Collections. 12 vols., Tokyo. pl. 144.
- Louise Allison Cort. Seto and Mino Ceramics. Washington and Honolulu, 1992. cat. 31, p. 27.
- Martin P. Amt Rob Barnard. In Praise of Feet. vol. 18, no. 2 Shelburne Falls, MA, June 1990. p. 29.
- Julia Murray. A Decade of Discovery: Selected Acquisitions 1970-1980. Exh. cat. Washington, 1979. cat. 67, pp. 88-89.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum