Marguerite Mallon, Paris. 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from Marguerite Mallon, Paris. 
 See correspondences between Marguerite Mallon and the Director of the Freer Gallery of Art, John Pope; copies in the object file. See also Freer Gallery of Art Purchase List after 1920 file, Collections Management Office.
 See note 1.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Marguerite Mallon died 1977
A large group of Sasanian silver and gilt vases of similar shape illustrates themes and motifs connected with the cult of Dionysos, the ancient Greek god of wine and ecstatic experience. Of this group, however, only this particular example depicts the god himself.
Appropriately, this imagery is found on vessels such as this one, which was used to contain wine. Elaborately decorated silver and gilt examples of this shape were made toward the end of the Sasanian period, the sixth and seventh centuries, as luxury banqueting equipment.
- Published References
- Arts of the Hellenized East: Orecious Metalwork and Gems of the Pre-Islamic Era. .
- Dr. Esin Atil. Exhibition of 2500 Years of Persian Art. Exh. cat. Washington, 1971. cat. 50.
- Richard Ettinghausen. From Byzantium to Sasanian Iran and the Islamic World: Three Modes of Artistic Influence. The L.A. Mayor Memorial Studies in Islamic Art and Archaeology Leiden. pp. 3-4, pl. 1.
- Richard Ettinghausen. A Persian Treasure. no. 8, Fall-Winter 1967-1968. cat. nos. 1-2, pp. 29-41, figs. 14-16.
- Ecclesiastical Silver Plate in Sixth-Century Byzantium Vessels: Papers of the Symposium held May 16-18, 1986 at the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore and Dumbarton Oaks, Washington, D.C. Washington. pp. 147-53.
- Michael Vickers. Metrological Reflections: Attic, Hellenistic, Parthian and Sasanian Gold and Silver Plate. vol. 24, no. 2 Paris. pp. 163-85.
- Ann C. Gunter, Paul Jett. Ancient Iranian Metalwork in the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery and the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and Mainz, Germany, 1992. cat. 33, pp. 188-190.
- Richard Ettinghausen. Islamic Art and Archaeology: Collected Papers. Berlin. pp. 308-309.
- Lexicon Iconographicum Mythologiae Classicae. 2 vols., Munich and Zurich, 1981-c1997. cat. 90, p. 522.
- Collection Area(s)
- Ancient Near Eastern Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."