N.V. Hammer, Inc., New York. 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from N.V. Hammer, Inc., New York. 
 Curatorial Remark 1 in the object record.
 See note 1.
- Previous Owner(s)
N.V. Hammer, Inc.
Buff clay. Recessed base. Underglaze iron painted decoration of grapes, trellis, and willow branches. Thick feldspathic glaze, coarsely crackled. Base glazed; three round spur marks inside foot rim. Neck repaired.
The shape of this ceramic bottle reflects the ancient custom of using gourds as containers for rice wine (sake).
- Published References
- Oriental Ceramics (Toyo Toji Taikan): The World's Great Collections. 12 vols., Tokyo. pl. 49.
- Koyama Fujio. Japanese Ceramics from Ancient to Modern Times: Selected from Collections in Japan and America. Exh. cat. Oakland, CA. cat. 23.
- Tsuchiya Yoshio. A Feast for the Eyes: The Japanese Art of Food Arrangement., 1st edition. Tokyo and New York. cat. 114.
- Louise Allison Cort. Japanese Ceramics and Cuisine. vol. 3, no. 1 New York, Winter 1990. p. 18, fig. 6b.
- Louise Allison Cort. Seto and Mino Ceramics. Washington and Honolulu, 1992. cat. 32, p. 28.
- Calendar of Exhibitions. vol. 16, no. 6 Hong Kong, June 1985. p. 62.
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 82.
- Report from America (East Coast). New Series, vol. 31, no. 2, Summer 1985. p. 202.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."