Originally located in the North Cave, northern Xiangtangshan, Hebei province, China 
From at least 1950 to 1953
C.T. Loo & Company, New York, from at least April 27, 1950 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C.T. Loo & Company on July 10, 1953 
 The removal of the sculpted figures and fragments from the Xiangtangshan caves began ca. 1909 at the time of political upheaval in China and continued throughout several decades, see http://xts.uchicago.edu/, accessed on November 9, 2009. See also J. Keith Wilson and Daisy Yiyou Wang, "The Early-Twentieth-Century 'Discovery' of the Xiangtangshan Caves," in Katherine R. Tsiang et al., Echoes of the Past: The Buddhist Cave Temples of Xiangtangshan, exh. cat. (Chicago: Smart Museum of Art; Washington, DC: Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, 2010), pp. 106-129 and Katherine R. Tsiang and J. Keith Wilson, "Catalogue of Works in the Exhibition," in Katherine R. Tsiang et al., Echoes of the Past: The Buddhist Cave Temples of Xiangtangshan, 2010, pp. 180-181, cat. no. 11 (ill.).
 See C. T. Loo's letter to Archibald Wenley, dated April 27, 1950, in which Loo discusses shipping the sculpture along with F1953.87 to the Freer Gallery, and "List of Objects Shipped to the Freer Gallery of Art", attached to the letter, copy in object file. See also Loo's stockcard no. NN: "Two stone sculptures, Demons," Frank Caro Archives, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, copy in object file.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated July 10, 1953, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s)
C.T. Loo & Company active 1908-1950
This pillar base in the shape of a guardian-demon originally belonged to the same cave-temple that F1953.87 was taken from in the early twentieth century. Probably this object was removed from China around the same time as the other one, in 1916, and when it surfaced on the art market in the 1950s, the Freer Gallery of Art purchased it. This figure was taken from a flat sidewall, while the angled base of the other guardian-demon (F1953.87) indicates that it was originally positioned at the lower corner of the central pillar in the cave.
- Published References
- Squatting Monster. Cleveland, March, 1958. .
- Mizuno Seiichi Toshio Nagahiro. Kyodosan Sekkutsu (The Buddhist Cave-Temples of Hsiang-T'ang-ssu on the Frontier of Honan and Hopei). Kyoto. pls. 48, 58.
- Chugoku bijutsu (Chinese Art in Western Collections). 5 vols., Tokyo, 1972-1973. pl. 37.
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 37.
- Chinese Art Society of America. Chinese Art Recently Acquired by American Museums. vol. 7. p. 85, fig. 11.
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Thomas Lawton, Harold P. Stern. The Freer Gallery of Art. 2 vols., Washington and Tokyo, 1971-1972. cat. 77, p. 172.
- Paths to Perfection, Buddhist Art at the Freer/Sackler. Washington, D.C. pp. 200-203.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum