From at least 1938
Mrs. Christian R. Holmes (1871-1941), New York and "The Chimneys," Sands Point, Port Washington, Long Island, from at least October 1938. 
From at least 1944 to 1945
Tonying and Company, New York from at least March 8, 1944. 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from Tonying and Company, New York on May 24, 1945. 
 Mrs. Holmes lent the sculpture to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York in 1938, see Chinese Bronzes of the Shang (1766-1122 B. C.) through the T’ang Dynasty (A.D. 618-906) (New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art, October 19-November 27, 1938), cat. 275. See also A. G. Wenley’s letter to C. F. Yau, Tonying and Co., dated May 22, 1945, copy in object file, in which Wenley confirms acquisition of the sculpture and states that it came from Mrs. Christian R. Holmes’s collection.
 See “List of Objects Contemplated for Purchase by the Freer Gallery of Art,” approved by the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution on March 8, 1944, copy in object file.
 See Tonying & Company’s invoice, dated May 24, 1945, in which the object figures under no. B. 58: “Gilt bronze Shrine / Six Dynasties,” copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s)
Tonying and Company
Mrs. Christian R. Holmes 1871 - 1941
- Published References
- Donald S. Lopez Jr Jacqueline I. Stone. Two Buddhas Seated Side by Side: A Guide to the Lotus Sūtra. Cover.
- Hugo Munsterberg. Chinese Buddhist Bronzes., 1st ed. Tokyo and Rutland, VT. pl. 35.
- Donald S. Lopez Jr Rebecca Bloom. Hyecho's Journey: The World of Buddhism. Chicago, IL, December 2017. p. 113, fig. 10.
- Arthur Pontynen. Philosophia perennis ars orientalis: A Buddhist-Taoist Icon in the Freer Gallery of Art. vol. 28, no. 4, Winter 1982-1982. pp. 359-367, figs. 1, 2.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."