Reportedly excavated in Anyang, Henan province, China 
From at least 1939 to 1940
C. T. Loo & Company, New York from at least November 4, 1939 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C. T. Loo & Company on February 21, 1940 
 Information provided by C. T. Loo, see John E. Lodge's curatorial remark, dated 1941, in object file.
 See "List of objects owned by C. T. Loo & Co., New York and [left] at the Gallery for examination," with an annotation that the piece was delivered by Loo on November 4, 1939, copy in object file.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated February 21, 1940, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
C.T. Loo & Company 1914-1948
- Published References
- J. Keith Wilson, Jingmin Zhang. Jades for Life and Death. .
- Chung-kuo tiao su shih t'u lu. Chung-kuo mei shu shih t'u lu ts'ung shu Shanghai. vol. 1: p. 40.
- Sueji Umehara. Kanan Anyo ibutsu no kenkyu [Study of Relics from Anyang]. Kyoto. pl. 24.
- Sueji Umehara. Shina kogyoku zuroku [Selected Specimens of Chinese Archaic Jade]. Kyoto, 1955. pl. 87.
- Sueji Umehara. Yin hsu: Ancient Capital of the Shang Dynasty at An-yang. Tokyo. pl. 141 (1).
- Osvald Siren. Kinas Konst Under Tre Artusenden. 2 vols., Stockholm, 1942-1943. vol. 1: pl. 17.
- Richard Ettinghausen, Ernst Kuhnel. A Survey of Persian Art from Prehistoric Times to the Present. 6 vols., London and New York, 1938 - 1939. .
- Mizuno Seiichi. In Shu seidoki to tama [Bronzes and Jades of Ancient China]. Tokyo. pl. 77a.
- Cheng Te-k'un. Archaeology in China. 3 vols., Cambridge, England. vol. 2: pl. 13b.
- Grace Dunham Guest, Archibald Gibson Wenley. Annotated Outlines of the History of Chinese Arts. Washington, 1949. p. 6.
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 29.
- Dagny Carter. Four Thousand Years of China's Art. New York. p. 35 a, b.
- Na Chih-liang. "玉器通史." Yu ch'i t'ung shih [A General Study of Chinese Jade]. Hong Kong, 1965. p. 63, fig. 81.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."