Probably excavated in Jincun, Henan province, China 
From at least 1939
Zhang Naiji (1899-1948), Shanghai and New York, from at least February 1939 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased through C.T. Loo & Company, New York from Zhang Naiji on April 17, 1939 
 The pendant traditionally was said to have been excavated in Shouzhou, Anhui province based on information provided by Zhang Naiji to John E. Lodge at the time of acquisition, see J. E. Lodge's note, 1939, in F1939.6 object file.
 See object information sheet and "List of objects contemplated for purchase by Freer Gallery of Art," approved on February 1, 1939, Freer Gallery of Art Purchase List file, copies in object file. According to an annotation on the list, the purchase was made from C. T. Loo & Co., New York acting as agent for the owner and the payment was made on April 17, 1939. Zhang Naiji was a well known collector of ancient Chinese art objects and Chinese coins. While the earliest documentation of Zhang's ownership of the jade dates to February 1939, it is known that Zhang left China in 1938 and did not return there until 1946 [information kindly provided by Daisy Yiyou Wang, email correspondence of May 20, 2009, in object file].
 See "List of objects contemplated for purchase by Freer Gallery of Art," cited in note 2.
- Previous Owner(s)
Zhang Naiji 1899-1948
C.T. Loo & Company active 1908-1950
- Published References
- Alfred Salmony. Chinese Jade Through the Wei Dynasty. New York, 1963. pl. 22, no. 6.
- Thomas Lawton. Chinese Art of the Warring States Period: Change and Continuity, 480-222 B.C. Washington, 1982-1983. cat. 81, p. 138.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum