C. T. Loo & Company, New York, NY from at least February 1, 1937 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C. T. Loo & Company, New York, NY through C. T. Loo 
 C. T. Loo's Approval Memo, dated February 1, 1937, on C. T. Loo & Company, Chinese Art letterhead, no. F 260: “Kuan Yao small square vase with two small tube handles, very thin crackles on the glaze – SUNG – wooden stand,” copy in object file. There are conflicting accounts regarding the dealer’s source. In 1949, C. T. Loo informed the museum’s director, John Alexander Pope, that this object and F1937.16 belonged to the sister of Puyi (1906-1967), the last emperor of China (1908-1912) and was brought to the United States in the 1930s through Hong Kong, see John Alexander Pope's note, dated to 1949, in object file. Frank Caro, Loo's business associate and later his successor in the company, later contradicted this statement and told John A. Pope that the object belonged to the daughter of Zhang Zuolin (Chang Tso-lin) (1873-1928) and in 1933 was sold by her to T.T. Lee, an agent of Loo, see John A. Pope's note, dated to 1961, in object file. In 1961, Frank Caro was in the process of establishing his own company, Frank Caro Chinese Art. Neither story has been independently verified.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice, dated May 3, 1937, copy in object file. See also, C. T. Loo & Company stock card no. F 260, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
C.T. Loo 1880-1957
Frank Caro 1904-1980
C.T. Loo & Company 1914-1948
- Published References
- Benjamin Rowland, Laurence Sickman, H. G. Henderson, Robert Treat Paine, Richard Ettinghausen, Eric Schroeder. The University Prints. Oriental Art Series O 4 vols. Newton, Massachusetts, 1938-1941. Section 2: Early Chinese Art, pl. 245.
- Dr. John Alexander Pope. A Letter from Washington. vol. 5, no. 4 Boston, December 1953. .
- Robert Treat Paine. A Preliminary Report on the Sub-Surface Structure of Glazes of Kuan and Kuan-type Wares. vol. 5, no. 3 Boston, September 1953. pl. 2.
- Oriental Ceramics: The World's Great Collections. 12 vols., Tokyo. vol. 10, pl. 94.
- Warren E. Cox. The Book of Pottery and Porcelain. 2 vols., New York. vol. 1: p. 146.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."