From at least 1934 to 1935
C. T. Loo & Company, New York from at least December 1, 1934 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from C. T. Loo & Company, New York on March 23, 1935 
 See "List of objects owned by C. T. Loo, New York and [left by him] at the Gallery for examination on December 1, 1934," copy in object file.
 See C. T. Loo's invoice dated March 23, 1935, copy in object file.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
C.T. Loo & Company 1914-1948
Mirror, with one repair. Box. Glossy mottled black patina with areas of azurite on surface. In sharply cut low relief.
Four highly stylized dragon arabesques against a background of delicate tracery fill the main decorative zone. The small, fluted central boss and the concave rim with sharp outer edges are typical features of late Zhou dynasty mirrors.
- Published References
- Smithsonian Institution. Report of the Secretary, 1935. Washington, 1935-1936. pl. 2.
- Martin J. Powers. Pattern and Person: Ornament, Society, and Self in Classical China. Harvard East Asia Monographs, no. 262 Cambridge, Massachusetts. .
- Thomas Lawton. Chinese Art of the Warring States Period: Change and Continuity, 480-222 B.C. Washington, 1982-1983. cat. 41.
- Bernhard Karlgren. Huai and Han. no. 13 Stockholm. pl. 11, C16.
- Robert Dale Jacobsen. Inlaid Bronzes of Pre-Imperial China: A Classical Tradition and Its Later Revivals. 2 vols. Ann Arbor. pl. 318.
- Sueji Umehara. Kan izen no kokyo no kenkyu [L'Etude sur le Miroir Anterieur a la Dynastie des Han]. Kyoto. p. 23.
- Dagny Carter. Four Thousand Years of China's Art. New York. p. 45, c.
- Compiled by the staff of the Freer Gallery of Art. A Descriptive and Illustrative Catalogue of Chinese Bronzes: Acquired During the Administration of John Ellerton Lodge. Oriental Studies Series, no. 3 Washington, 1946. p. 65, pl. 36.
- Hsueh-chin Li. Several Shang, Chou Objects Collected in America and Australia. no. 12. pp. 72-76.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
International Image Interoperability Framework
IIIF Manifest Data/Viewers