Hagop Kevorkian (1872-1962), New York, to 1932 
Freer Gallery of Art, purchased from Hagop Kevorkian in 1932 
 Object file, undated folder sheet note. See also Freer Gallery of Art Purchase List file, Collections Management Office.
 See note 1.
- Previous Owner(s)
Hagop Kevorkian 1872-1962
Manuscript; Mihr u Mushtari (The Sun and Jupiter) by Shams al-Din Muhammad Assar; text: Persian in black nasta'liq script with headings in gold, red and blue; 284 bound folios and five detached folios with 1 shamsa (folio 1recto), 1 sarlawh (folio 2recto), 4 paintings, one dated colophon (folio 284recto), and 3 seals (folio 284recto); standard page, 2 columns, 12 lines; one of a group of 6: folios F1932.4-8 of the same bound manuscript have been detached and accessioned separately.
Binding: The manuscript is in a lacquer-painted binding with floral designs, scalloped medallion and corner-pieces. The doublures are of brown lacquer ground with single stemmed narcissus.
"Written by the sinful slave who hopes for the mercy of God the magnificent king, Ibrahim [son of] Khalil, may [God] pardon their sins and cover their faults, in Bukhara in the year 929 [A.D. 1522-23]."
- Published References
- Philipp Walter Schulz. Die Persisch-Islamische Miniaturmalerei: Ein Beitrag zur Kunstgeschichte Irans. 2 vols, Leipzig. vol. 2: pls. 72-80.
- Richard Ettinghausen, Ernst Kuhnel. A Survey of Persian Art from Prehistoric Times to the Present. 6 vols., London and New York, 1938 - 1939. vol. 3: p. 1871.
- Sheila R. Canby. Persian Painting. Eastern Art Series London. pp. 46-48, fig. 26.
- Laurence Binyon, J.V.S. Wilkinson, Basil Gray. Persian Miniature Painting: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Miniatures Exhibited at Burlington House, January-March 1931. Exh. cat. Oxford, January - March 1931. p. 123, no. 106, pls.LXXIX, LXXX.
- Abolala Soudavar, Milo Cleveland Beach. Art of the Persian Court: Selections from the Art and History Trust Collection. New York. pp. 208-209.
- Collection Area(s)
- Arts of the Islamic World
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."