Mary Chase Perry Stratton (1867-1961), Detroit, to 1918 
From 1918 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), given by Mary Chase Perry Stratton on May 1, 1918 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See American Pottery List, L. 2608, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Mary Chase Perry Stratton (C.L. Freer source) 1867 - 1961
Made from 1903 until 1965, the Pewabic Pottery of Detroit was most noted for iridescent glazes. These colorful hues are created when metallic salts, such as copper oxides, are spread on the pottery before its last firing. Many well-known art-potters and glassmakers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries created iridescent glazes inspired by ceramic lusterwares from the Near East. Stratton's work compares favorably with wares designed by Englishmen, Frenchmen and Americans, including William de Morgan, Auguste Delaherche, Jacques Sicard, Louis Comfort Tiffany, Frederick Carder and others.
In this piece by Stratton, fresh pinks and apple greens recall the somewhat raw colors of early Spring.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Rights Statement
Copyright with artist